Sunday, January 3, 2010

Signs


We see signs all over, the road ways in buildings.... literally signs every where. What about the signs we ignore ? Yes, those nagging premonitions, those "gut" instincts..... those daily reminders put to us. Some of us completely ignore them, some of us are to crazed in our daily rush to notice them, and some of us would just rather ignore them all together.

Narelle Schwartz, an acquaintance friend from an unusual place had this quote, her child has autism.

A child is like a butterfly in the wind. Some can fly higher than others; But each one flies the best it can. Why compare one against the other? Each one is different. Each one is special. Each one is beautiful.

it may seem like a cheesy quote meant for some billboard on political correctness. However closer examination would tell us isn't this true of everyone ? In a world where we all cry for diversity and sing it's praises..... even if we resist it and secretly shun it..... Really it does boil down to we are all different, unique...and posses the power of free will.

When my kids think something is strange or unfair..... usually along the lines of " Mom so and so gets this or does that why can't I ? " I resist the urge to use the standard mother line of " If X jumped off a bridge would you ? " or another favorite of my own mother " If X stuck their head in a fire would you ?"....... no instead I resort to " Well if we were all the same the world would be a very boring place."....... which seems to me to be more grounded in reality and makes them sit and think about what they are really angry about...... Because speaking as a former dare devil my friends all jumped off a platform/bridge and yes I did follow..actually I lead all of them off while bungee jumping..... something of course I will save for a story when they are much older and they really believe I am as boring as they think I am.

The second sign came from another unlikely source about the challenges we face, the struggles we go through, how much we sacrifice for what we believe is right..... how some of us are lucky enough to see a "pay off" for that. Maybe our child goes on and does wonderful things, maybe we earn a promotion or get our dream job, maybe our lifelong dreams are realized ......

Sometimes our signs are subtle, in consequential, sometimes our signs are large and unavoidable. We have to notice every detail. Fear should not drive us but inspire us. I think some days I am afraid I might miss something and that fear is so powerful it drives me to do more , be more, find the answer to any unanswered question.

Perhaps this year my resolution will be small and in consequential, maybe I will just try to remember to take my vitamins everyday instead of forgetting them in the cupboard. Maybe it will be to give up on something.... that one will be nearly impossible to keep. If you hit the bottom of one barrel perhaps you need to find another barrel..... look in unexpected places and find another way watch for the signs and be more fearless.

I should have burned last years resolutions, this was the first year I didn't and clearly it did make a difference. Perhaps this is the year to be more fearless. The Jury is still out, but at least I can say I see the signs.

No comments: