Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Sleep with a Tape Measure.... Tales From This Week


I have been absent again, this happens I get on a roll and then life steps in to remind me that chaos is seconds away. Glue, a heavy flashlight, a dust bunny, some photographic equipment, a cord, 3 post it notes, a Lego, a rain gutter regatta boat kit, white out, 7 magazines, a sock, a t-shirt and for good measure some object I have never seen and have no idea what it is. A grocery list no, a list of things for one of the kids back packs, no. So what exactly does this collection of stuff mean ? Exactly. This is what was found on my desk, the very same desk that was clean, spotless and pristine a week ago. Not one of these items was mine.... well ok I'll claim one magazine. Sam had worked on a project from the home computer this week which means a mess will follow including items that have no rhyme or reason to the desk or the project. I have been trying this past week to put the living room back together from the flooring of 2 weeks ago. So I haven't been staying on top of clutter monsters upstairs as much. I am pleased to report that some semblance of order has returned and my living room is put back together.... this of course left the desk free for scrutiny. I cleaned carpets and picked up stuff, I have had appointments and the usual weekly errands. I wish I could say this week had been glamours or exciting but it is mundane and like everyone else's clutter. Several late nights way past bedtime, cub scouts and school reports, landscaping and rain. I did have a stow away plant for 2 days. We are doing landscaping and one plant was lost behind the toy holder in the back of the car, it enjoyed it's adventures and outings but after 2 days of warm sun in the car it needed to go to a pot in the garden.

Life was the usual until, I went to bed last night. Usually I will find books, dolls, Lego's and other toys in my bed, occasionally I will find papers and clothes....... I often find lenses and other photography equipment. I have found Sam's paperwork for TDY's and other receipts he should be corralling with him asleep on top of it and I am left in the dark to clear the clutter find my corner of the sheets and not wake him. I was excited last night to find a clear bed. I snuggled into the sheets and was getting comfortable when I found it, the equipment. I thought oh another flash or another box that attaches to some other camera equipment..... then I reached for the object to discover the missing tape measure. This tape measure has been missing for a few days it was last spotted in the bathroom, H had taken it somewhere but couldn't remember where. S had given it a ride in her doll stroller, P had used it to fire toys down the stairs. During the week I had found Max the dog sleeping on it, each time I had diligently put it back in the cabinet...each time it had turned up somewhere else. Who needs tales of a traveling gnome when I have wandering tape measures to spice up the story of our house right. I know somewhere in this house there are no less than 10 different size tape measures because Sam leaves them places he gets a new one, we both had several when we met, and I believe that somewhere in the night they multiply as well. However when we need them there is not one to be found. Now they are hiding in my bed. I threw it on the floor ( it was past midnight) and figured it could sleep with the dog or I would trip over it in the morning and coral it to the cabinet again later. The next morning it was missing however ( it probably had a hot date with another of the missing tape measures' ) . I have been cleaning today looking, but not to hard I think they sense when I am searching for them. I have yet to find it I know I'm not crazy, I know it was there and yet it is missing again. This week has of course been about finding things, putting things away, and trying to corral the clutter. By the end of this week the house should be back to "normal" and the clutter corralled, the toys put away, everything dusted and vacuumed..... However I am pretty sure that I will still have missing tape measures and find things in my bed in the night.

No comments: